Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's learning how to dance in the rain.



Want to Comment but Need Help?

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Truly Grateful

I've been thinking of the time that J had to spend with us, not just because Thanksgiving is just a day away but because it helps me get through the tough days. Although we were only married for just shy of 10 yrs in January we had 13 wonderful years together... C had 5 years with his dad and K 19 months with him. We've been lucky... I feel blessed that we were able to meet at such a young age J was 17 and I was 15... and we were pretty much inseparable since then.... just ask our parents. Some days are easier than others. But, everyday I think about J and think about how grateful I am that I had those years with him. That we have our two kids together. That although their time with them was cut short he will always be there for them. He'll always be their dad... Nothing will ever change that. I'm grateful that he'll always be able to be there when K has a dance recital or C has a ball game. They may not have their dad here physically but they will always have that special guardian angel to look over them. I'm grateful that J was able to have those 31 yrs on this earth. If I stop and think everyday what I'm grateful for even though J is gone I find myself feeling better. I know sometimes its hard for me to think of what to be grateful for without J in my life now but I think about all the things he did for me, for the kids, for everyone who's lives he has touched. I'm grateful for his outpouring of love for everyone. I'm grateful that he was always a friend to everyone and passed that trait onto C. I'm grateful that he showed me how much he loved me everyday and that my kids were able to see that, feel that. I'm grateful that he was an example of always caring and loving his family especially his extended family. I could go on and on... but most of all I'm grateful to my Heavenly Father for allowing J into our lives. We will be forever changed because he has been in our lives.
"Time is: Too slow for those who wait, Too swift for those who fear, Too long for those who grieve, Too short for those who rejoice, But for those who love, Time is eternity."
Time may have been too short while J was here and too long for those of us who grieve his loss but those who love him and those he loves time will always be eternity... and for that I'm truly grateful...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh E! You have so many things to be gratefully for. I believe that J will always be there with you and the kids, along with our Father in Heaven. One thing that I thought about while reading your blog was that, J is so lucky to have you and the kids in his life as well. I think about you and the kids everyday. I am truly grateful to have met all of you, especially you because I seem to get more strength from the things that you do. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Emily I LOVE that quote about time. I am copying it and printing it out. For me, counting my blessings helps a lot with hard times, just like you’re saying. I know the holidays will be tough for you this year but I hope you and your kids have the best Thanksgiving possible!

Bethany said...

Thankyou for that post, for expressing your gratitude at such a difficult time. I am sure that J is grateful that C and K have such a caring Mom who is wise beyond her years. You continually amaze me!
this in Nellie

Jan said...

E your words are so touching, and are a comfort to me. You always seem to write just what I need to hear. We are missing J so much. I too am grateful for the 31 years we had, it just wasn't enough! ("our children belong to our future. We do not visualize our future without them." By N. W.) This trial is hard, but we are also blessed in many ways and have much to be thankful for. At this time we are especially thankful for the outpouring of love people have shown. It has come in abundance It all means so much. Thank You!!

Brooklyn said...

I think it's neat you and J got to know each other at such a young age. Truely a blessing. I hopy you had a nice Thanksgiving Emily.

Thinking about you tonight.

To continue reading about our journey click the "older posts" button...