Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's learning how to dance in the rain.



Want to Comment but Need Help?

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Closer Than Ever

In church today (Relief Society) we had a lesson on celestial marriages. And wouldn't you know it I got the quote about serving your spouse. I thought back over the last few months as J and went through this trial of cancer again and thought about how much closer we had become. I came to realize that it was not because he had cancer but because we were constantly serving each other. I was always concerned with him and how he felt and making sure his bandages were changed daily that his port was flushed and other things. He was always checking up on me making sure I had the breaks I needed. Making sure I got to do something for myself and was never thinking about himself even though he was sicker than sick at times. And because we were busy thinking about the other person, the little things didn't bug us. I think of how easy it is to love our children unconditionally but how hard is it to love your spouse or significant other unconditionally? As hard as these trials have been I'm grateful to know that before J died we both felt that unconditional love for one another. That there wasn't any question in either one of our minds about how we felt for one another. Cancer could have easily torn us apart if we had let it. But we chose to take it head on and make something good out of it. I miss J today. It seems like I can go for a few days without feeling like my world was torn apart, today was just kind of different. I half expected the phone to ring and hear his voice on the other line. But no matter how much I miss him I will always know how much he loves me and the kids and he proved that to me over and over again by serving me and never complaining about how hard his life was. For that I'm forever grateful. I'm grateful that he was able to feel my love for him as I served him and if I had to do it all over again I would...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily,
Oh that is really nice to have that feeling. I have a great marriage too and would be completely devasted if I lost my spouse as well. But, I know that J's spirit is looking out for you all and God will continue to help you always. It must be tough and I believe things you do at times is quite the ok as no one knows what to do at times.
Grieving a loss of someone and especially a spouse makes people do things sometimes but, over all it helps you.
Hang in there, were all praying for you! Your doing a great job Emily! :)

Marci McLain said...

Thank you for sharing today in RS. Your insights and comments truly touched my heart and made me see what I need to do better on. You are a wonderful example to me and my family.

ruth said...

I felt the same way in the past few weeks/months of my husband's life. The little stuff just didn't seem so big anymore and we were putting each other before our own needs. In some ways...cancer almost seemed like a gift at the beginning because we became so much more tender toward each other, quick to forgive and quick to ask for forgiveness...I was hoping that we would be able to put the lessons we learned to good use after the cancer was over...but that was not to be. I am grateful as you are that in the end I knew I was loved and that he knew I loved him. I truly believe that reality in your life will carry you through until you meet J again. Believe it or not...your love for J will continue to grow daily even without him physically by your side.
Ruth

Nellie said...

E, thanks for the great example and for the reminder of serving our spouse. You are incredible!!

Shannon said...

Today in Primary C seemed very sad and withdrawn it finally climaxed to him crying in my lap. I asked him to help me get a special treat out of my car and had a special opportunity to talk to C about his Dad. I felt very impressed to tell him that his daddy is still watching over him and is going to watch him grow up and and live his life and will be the first one there to meet him when it was his turn to die. Also that because you and J were married in the temple you would be a family forever. He cheered up immediately. I love your little boy.I was so grateful for the opportunity to have a chance to feel like I was able to really teach the gospel to one of my primary kids. Please let me know if there is any way to help you and your sweet family.

Jan said...

What sweet words!

Lyndee said...

I am glad you had a great lesson to remember the wonderful service you and J would do for each other! It seems this sunday talks were there to help us and were inspired! I had a wonderful talk about when trials or hard times come we have to follow Pres Hinkleys advice to just 'GO ON' and continue to serve the Lord!!! I know we can all do this together and the Lord and J are with us!!!

Anonymous said...

That's so ironic that you got that quote about serving your spouse. You did did so mcuh for J and the kids. You are blessed by that in so many ways...including your celestial marriage.

To continue reading about our journey click the "older posts" button...