Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's learning how to dance in the rain.
Want to Comment but Need Help?
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Mixed Emotions
I've had J's truck stuffed to the brim with items that needed to be donated for almost 6 weeks. Mostly his clothes and things that just didn't hold any real meaning that need to be held onto were in the truck. As I started up his truck today to take everything down to be donated I smiled. I sat there for a minute listening to the rumble of his truck that I'd always hear come 6pm. I backed out of the driveway looked at the passenger side and said out loud "Wanna go for a ride Jeff?". It was kinda our time. I don't know if he was there. I never sensed anything but for a little while I felt as though I didn't have a care in the world. I was in my own little world. At peace with where my life had been, where it is and where it is going. I felt happy. Felt like I was moving forward and felt that peace of healing. As I drove down the freeway, every now and then I'd look at the back of the truck and see the bags of clothing and other items that belonged to J and felt a little sad. Almost like I was unloading a huge piece of my life. In a sense I was. As I helped the guy unload everything from the truck I felt that sadness go away. It was only stuff. It wasn't who he was. I kept anything that had meaning, that would remind my kids of him someday. It was just a strange feeling to be happy yet sad at the same time. Sad to see that part of my life be gone that I had sitting in my garage, and to see that everyday. But, happy that I was able to move forward with my life and feel good about it. Feel like J was there pushing me along as I'm sure he does everyday. Giving me the strength to keep going when I just want to throw in the towel. I spent a good 45 min. driving around in that truck. I didn't realize how much I had missed riding in that truck. It was J's baby. He loved that truck. It helped me feel connected to him and at peace at the same time. The first time I ever drove the truck after he died I felt a lot of sadness. This time it was just a joy ride and I liked that. I haven't taken the truck out that often but I might now more, just so I can ask him if he wants to go for a ride with me...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
To continue reading about our journey click the "older posts" button...


5 comments:
I love that picture of J! He has got to be so pleased with your progress and I am sure he wants everyone to be happy!
That is so sweet. I am glad that you were able to go for a ride!
I am glad you found something that brings you a little happiness. I think a joy ride in his truck is a great way to feel connected to him and get some time alone that you might need from time to time!
I'm glad you were able to take J's truck out for a drive and I'm sure he was right there next to you do emjoying. How hard it must be to have to decide what to do with his stuff. What a hard decision. Of course, me, I would probably cry having to give my husbands things away. I hope you are doing ok.
That brought tears to my eyes, it was so sweet. I miss that truck too, how excited he would get everytime he got something new for it like a stereo or tires and he would pull me outside and have me see what his latest find was. Your so strong. love you.
Post a Comment