Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's learning how to dance in the rain.



Want to Comment but Need Help?

Sunday, April 19, 2009

DENIAL

Denial is the refusal to acknowledge the existence or severity of unpleasant external realities or internal thoughts and feelings.

The day J died I walked through the door marked DENIAL in big bold letters. It was safe there. Easier to hang out in that room than deal with my reality that I was now a single mom of 2 kids under the age of 5. I hung out there for a good month and a half before I was brought to my knees from the pain and the reality I was forced to face. December 17, 2008. I will never forget that night. I hadn't cried that much ever. Especially after J had died. The pain was so overwhelming. So hard to deal with. I hated being alone. I hated being a single mom. I hated going through J's stuff and seeing the little things that he had thought of ahead of time because he knew he'd be sick and in the hospital. See J wasn't one to think ahead like that. He usually was a last minute kind of guy. I was already struggling with everything when I found the anniversary card he had bought just days after his birthday. 3 months before it was even going to be our 10 year anniversary. I finally fell to my knees no longer able to handle the heartache. I was running full speed out of that room that had the sign on the door DENIAL. I didn't look back. I couldn't look back. I knew I needed to face my reality no matter how harsh or unfair I thought it was. Over the last couple of days I've been thinking about how far I've come since that day. The day I stepped out of that foggy room and into the real world where things were becoming more black and white everyday. But, at the same time I find myself looking at pictures of J and the kids together and I hear that knocking on the door. The DENIAL door. Beckoning me to come back in and hide out where its safe. No one to judge you for the decisions you've made. No one to tell you what you should or shouldn't do or how you should feel or where you should be in your grieving process. And I think how easy it would be to just turn the knob and walk back thru. Pretend like it was just a bad dream. That it didn't happen. But, then I snap myself back to reality and despite everything that has happened to me over the past 5.5 months I can truly say I'm happy that I broke out of that room. Walked out and never went back. I'm so much happier. A strong determined soul. And even though that DENIAL door looks so tempting I can't ever bring myself to turn that handle again. I don't want to. Its hard to admit things about yourself. That you are weak at times. But I think that's the first step in walking out that door, out of that room that I had shut myself in, and being able to recognize it now that its still there in the shadows lurking is a huge step away from it as well. All this is part of my past but without it I wouldn't be able to grow. See things in a different light. Be accepting of my weaknesses and recognizing them. Because all too often its easier to walk through that door and never look back. Be safe. But, I don't want to be in that room... EVER again. And to me that tells me I've come a long way despite what other people may think or feel, cause I refuse to walk thru that door of DENIAL ever again.

6 comments:

Nancy Smith said...

I love the way you can express how you feel in writing. And you are so RIGHT!

Elder Eric Hadder said...

How many times can the brethen tell us not to judge? How many scriptures tell us to evaluate ourselves and only lift up our neighbor. Judgment for how you are grieving says more about the person judging than you. As long as you are close to the Lord and following the Spirit,you are doing the right thing. And only you can judge that. I admire your strength and ability to admit you are struggling. Isn't that honest? You are true to yourself. Don't ever change.

Anonymous said...

You are one of the most amazing people I know. You have been so strong throughout this trial. No one has the right to tell you where you should be or how you should be feeling with it. I know that whatever choices you make, the Lord and J are there, helping you with each one. Keep being strong in everything you do. We love you!

ruth said...

You are already seeing how far you've come in a few months...just imagine as you look back a year from when J died, 2 years, 5 years, etc. I think you will be amazed at where you've been and where you are and where you are going. Only you can really know what you feel...and you have every right to feel whatever it is that you feel on any given day. Feelings are from God.
Ruth

The McGraths said...

I came a cross your blog this morning and pretty much read the whole thing while my kids ate breakfast. I have been touched by your story and I felt that I needed to tell you what a wonderful thing you are doing for your children! My father passed away from Cancer when I was 8 leaving my mother with 5 small children. It was hard however I was happy and continued to have a wonderful childhood. My father's death has everything to do with who I am today. I know that Heavenly Father needed him on the other side of the veil for a special purpose. My mom did the best she could and I was always aware of that. Reading your thoughts has helped me to understand better the emotions that my mom must have felt. But even more is that I find that I am getting to where I don't remember as much about my father as I would like to. My sister recently came across my dad's missionary journal and we have enjoyed so much reading his words because it helps us remember who he was and how much we are like him. I even on my wedding day felt him with me as I sat there across the altar from my husband. It was a special moment that I will never forget. Thank you for doing this for your children. There will be a time when they are older that they will be able to appreciate you for helping them remember their father. I wish you the best.
Cindi

m = michelle said...

Girl, if you were still in that room people would have something to say about THAT. I know it's hard when people judge, or don't approve, or whatever. But (and I know you're doing this) take that with a grain of salt.

We all think we know but, but only you can know what's right for you!

To continue reading about our journey click the "older posts" button...