Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's learning how to dance in the rain.



Want to Comment but Need Help?

Friday, December 5, 2008

A Band Aid Isn't Going to Fix This

As a parent you never want your child to feel pain or be sad. You always want to be able to kiss them better put a band aid on the wound and things will be better. You want to be able to fix their heartache take it away. Last night at 11pm C came down stairs for the 6th or 7th time that night crying and saying he missed his dad. I didn't know what to do or say except take him back to bed and tell him I didn't know what to do. I can't fix this. I can't bring dad back. I don't want to do this all by myself. And when his only response is "When Dad comes back alive he can come home and live with us again" what do you say other than, you know but that's going to be a really long time. I told him I loved him, hugged him and left. There wasn't anything I could do. Reality was I couldn't fix this. I can't fix his broken heart and I certainly can't fix mine. And the fact of the matter is that no matter how many people love and support you, no one can fix the hurt you have because you no longer have that husband, father and best friend. Time is supposed to heal all wounds but too often I feel like time just opens a new wound. Maybe one I didn't know was there. Time is supposed to make things easier and although somethings have become easier loosing my best friend is something that has gotten harder to deal with.

11 comments:

Shelbi Whittaker said...

Em, Im so sorry! I cant amagine what you are going through! I wish I had words to make you feel better, but Ill I can tell you is that we will continue to pray for you and your kids. Im sorry I didnt talk to you at church on sunday, I saw you in nursery and I was just at a loss as to what to say...but...I think of you and your family constantly! I am still amazed at what a strong good mom you are!!
Love you! Shelbi

Nellie said...

I wish that batman bandaids could heal the grief. I think we all want to cry with you and C. You express things so well........please keep posting. We love you.

Jamie said...

Praying for you and C and K.

Stacee said...

I wish I knew what to say too, but I'm at a loss of words. With kids being small like that, they don't understand things about death. It would be easier if they could come back to us and live with us now when we need and want them. I'm sorry. Think think of you often. Take care.

angiedunn said...

sweet e: i'm so sorry. my heart breaks for you, friend. love ya & think of you/pray for you daily...

Anonymous said...

Oh Emily! I dont know what to say other than I'm so sorry. With our kids being so small, them not understanding certain things in life, there's nothing we can really do but to love them. Just love C and K, remind them that J loves them and that he is always with them. I think that's all you can do.

cheryl said...

Your words are exactly how I feel--as a parent, I don't want my child to feel pain or be sad. I want to be able to make it better, to be able to fix this, to take this heartache away--I want this more than anything!

Marci McLain said...

I am so sorry...

ruth said...

While time does smooth over some of the rough edges...the loss will be with you always and catch you off guard in the strangest ways. Some would choose to try and be numb to it all, using things that this world has to offer...I've found that joy and pain go hand in hand and are really not that far from each other. I choose to feel. You are as well...so some days are going to be painful and other days you will experience God's presence in ways that you never would have if you had not experienced the loss of J. You and your kids are "homesick", longing for the place that is really your home...we are just passing through, sometimes it feels like that could last a really long time, in other moments God gives us times when we are able to realize that this life really is just a vapor, we find ourselves thinking...wow another year has passed already, we watch how quickly our kids are growing up, etc. I am praying for you and your kids as I write this...to know that nothing separates us from God's love and that His love would so fill your home that you would be amazed at "The Peace that passes all understanding".
Ruth
Keep writing and expressing yourself...your loss is then able to bring honor and glory to God through the ups and the downs.

Annette said...

Emily so sorry for all of your hard times and sorrow. I continually pray for that strength and comfort to be with you and for those angels to surround you and bear you up in the very difficult moments. I know the Savior is with you during those moments when it seems you can't bear it any longer. He knows and understands your pain and suffering and will help you through this. His atonement is real and His love is never ending. We all love you!

Brooklyn said...

I'm sure your parents are going through almost the same thing for you in a way that you are for your kids. I was telling your mom a few weeks ago that the hardest thing for me when Devin leaves on long trips for a few months at a time isn't me missing him, it's harder for me to watch my girls missing him. It sure can break your heart. I'm sorry you have had to feel that too and at an even far worse extent than I have had to. It sure isn't fair how life plays out sometimes. I still believe that dispite all the difficult moments you and your family are going to have Emily, you are still going to have many joyful and fun and wonderful moments that Jeff will be able to see too.

I loved what you wrote in your other post about how you are one month closer to being with Jeff again. Like counting down the days to Christmas. Very sweet.

Thinking of you.
Brooke

To continue reading about our journey click the "older posts" button...