Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's learning how to dance in the rain.



Want to Comment but Need Help?

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Life Changes In An Instant

Its funny how life can be changed in an instant. We go living our lives day to day planning out the big important details of maybe a big vacation that we want to take or that big household item that we want to purchase. But we never sit down and take the time to think about the little details. The details that may someday forever change our lives. You know the little annoying ones like whos name is on the phone bill. I've found that these little details of life have turned into huge details, obstacles thrown in my path, just another thing I have to do. Another person I have to call, more paper work to fill out. Death certificates to be sent out. No one should ever have to go through what I'm going through. The loss is hard, but I manage day by day and get on with my life. I miss J but I've learned a lot. Stuff that I'd want to pass on to other people just in case. You know cause you can always plan the big details in life, but you never know when something you didn't plan for is going to happen. *Take time to sit down with your spouse, your significant other, whoever is going to be there if something should happen to you. Take the time to make sure that you both know where you stand, *passwords to everything. Both of you should know. Write them down keep them in a safe or a safety deposit box, make sure you know the code or where the keys are. *Both names on accounts. Something as simple as a phone bill can soon become something more complicated than you would think when that only person who's name is on the bill is no longer around. When you have to make changes to it and you can't you find more paperwork you don't want to fill out and your list every growing of places to call because your name wasn't on that account. *Birth certificates and social security numbers, important documents that you may need to have make sure these things are all in a safe place and that you both know where they are and how to get copies if need be. *Know what credit cards are out there. *Be sure that both of you know how to pay the bills, know the ins and outs of your banking. I know this is easier said than done but trust me, if you are ever thrown into a situation where something happens to one, say they get really sick and can't take care of that stuff, you should be able to step right in there and know what is going on and not even have to bat an eye at it. You will be able to pick up the slack with out a problem. *Have a living will, make one if you haven't. Make sure it has your basic wishes in it. Maybe write what things you'd want at your funeral. I know it sounds strange to think that way but I know, knowing a couple of things that J wanted at his made it that much easier on me. * If you have kids, make sure you have someone in mind of who they would be with if something should happen. Make sure the kids know, and have it in writing. * Get life insurance. I don't care how young you think you are, you are not invisible. It isn't that much to get a decent amount at least enough to pay off a house and cars. It could be as little as $20-$30 a month. This maybe hard for some to think about paying out every month but believe me in the long run if you do have life insurance your family will be taken care of. That goes for the man & woman. Both of you should have it. *If you back up things such as photos, both should know how to do it and where these things are kept. J was my computer guru and I am at a total loss. I find myself trying to teach myself how to do something like backing up all my photos and I haven't the slightest clue to what he's done on certain things.
I've been thinking about all this for a little while now as these things have come up and I think to myself, I never would have thought about these things, never thought that not having my name on the phone bill would be such a big deal. Actually I didn't even know my name wasn't on it. I assumed it was... Don't assume ASK! I know that not everyone is ever gonna be put in a situation as me. But, it doesn't hurt to be prepared now for the future. You may be 80+ years old before you have to deal with losing a spouse, but just think of how much easier it will be to deal with their affairs if you know what is going on right now. Thank you for the continued love and support for me and my kids. We feel your love and prayers everyday. We tend to keep busy, but busy is good. Busy doesn't keep the heart from aching but its a reminder that life goes on and sometimes when I'm driving here or there I like to think that J's sitting next to me in the car. Enjoying the ride....

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Thanks Em, that is great advice! Hope things are going as well as they can be. You are amazing!!!

ruth said...

I couldn't agree with you more on everything you said. Having life insurance when my husband died gave him incredible peace of mind and kept a huge load from crashing in on me at the same time. We almost canceled it several times but by the grace of God...everytime I wanted to cancel it my husband said no...I've told my insurance people to use my story with other young couples as an example...you just never know. And I do remember all of the paper work, thankfully I was up to date for the most part on the bills...but our names weren't on everything together and it can be quite a process. Even over a year and a half later I just got a check refund back from the hospital from when he was sick and had to deal again with the bank and the fact that their is no way he was going to be able to sign it...All of these things are things that most people don't consider. I mean you're right...how many people are going to have their spouse die young...but I have to say...I used to think that way too and life has a way of suddenly turning. We expect to grow old together...I've found the only expectations that match reality are the ones that are given by God in the bible...His promises are secure and never fail.
Have a great day Emily! Stranger to stranger, you are on my mind and I'm praying for you.
Ruth

Nellie said...

That is such great advice. They tell you to do things like that even for emergency preparedness. I think we all should take your advice an act on it! We love you.....

Caryn said...

Such great advice. We got our living will a few years ago- it is a hard thing to think about doing but something everyone should have for sure.

The passwords thing is so smart- I know most of his but not all-eek!

Kristenjane said...

Very good advice. I actually just got life insurance yesterday for Free. I see how important it is and how grateful we all are that J thought ahead and had Life Insurance.

Brooklyn said...

Good advice. Reminds me of what we go through ever time Devin gets deployed. It does make a huge difference.

To continue reading about our journey click the "older posts" button...